Friday, October 5, 2007

It's Been Eleven Years Now

It doesn't seem possible that it's been eleven years now since John and I was married. I remember it all like it was yesterday. It really was a very special time. The beauty of being married for eleven years is that although you now know all of your partners little quirks and can often finish their thoughts, you still learn new things about them on a daily basis. I think that's part of what makes a marriage work, that you forever try to learn more about your partner.

We were at a wedding not long ago and they had a "generational" dance. You know the ones where they start the dance and then count down, "all those who have been married less than five years sit down, etc..." It felt weird that at the 10 year mark there were only about a dozen of us still standing. I think it says a lot about marriage in this age. There are so many less that hit each milestone. I often wonder why that is, but alas that is for another day and another time because my feelings on this are very strong and I do not wish to put a damper on this day for it should be a celebration.

For those that don't know, I was married at the age of 17 and John was 21. It was a marriage "doomed to fail" because the odds are not in favor because of our ages. I like to believe that I've proven otherwise and that teen relationships really can survive as long as both parties are willing to put a little time, effort, communication, and compromise into it. Don't ever count someone with the right determination out of anything.

Well, that's all of a download for now. I will add a few more entries today as I remember my wedding day and share a very special speech with you. Have a great Friday everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment