Monday, October 1, 2007

Could This Be The Year?


*Said like a confession in an AA meeting.* I am Amy and I am a Chicago Cubs fan. *Smile*

I have been a Chicago Cubs fan for as long as I can remember. My Grandpa was the culprit. We used to sit on the front porch and listen to the game on his little handheld radio. Then in later years, it progressed to watching it on WGN. I fell in love with the game and there was actually a time when I could name every player, state their statistics, and tell you what was likely to happen when they got to bat. Those were the days. Ryne "Ryno" Sandberg at second, Andre "Hawk" Dawson in right, Mark Grace at first, Shawn Dunstan at Short, Doug Dascenzo in Center, Damon Berryhill or Joe Girardi behind the plate. They were the greatest in my eyes and should have never lost a game...

Then I grew up and realized that I had been cursed to fall in love with the "Lovable Losers". The Cubs weren't meant to win games, they were destined to lose them. And so they have, over, and over again. A curse they say... or many depending on who you talk to. Well, I'm not saying I don't believe in curses, but I am saying that I don't think any curse is going to keep this team from moving on. There is a hunger in the eyes of this team that previous teams just haven't had. This will be the year. This is the year of the Cubs.

So how can I say this with a straight face? Let's put it this way. I don't want to see 100 years. 99 is more than enough for me. So let's do this thing. It's been ten years since Harry Caray left us. Let's win it for him. The World Series championship trophy has been at the Illinois State Fair two years in a row (White Sox in 2005 and Cardinals in 2006)... I'd like to make that three. Is it wishful thinking of this Cubs fan in a year that has been less than positive? Could be, but a girl can dream can't she?

No comments:

Post a Comment