Saturday, September 29, 2007

I Am Still the Same

I am Amy and I was born on March 15, 1979. I am a proud graduate of a small town in central Illinois where I graduated with honors. I was married to my true love on October 5, 2006 and together we have a son who was born on February 13, 1997. I graduated with a 4.0 GPA from a local business college. I received my Associates Degree. I have been employed with a small company for 8 years and that small company is now owned by a large corporation. I work as a computer networking administrator. My husband and I bought a house in June of 2002 and since then we have worked to make that house a home.

I am good at Math, I suck at English, and I found History to be my favorite subject. I enjoyed the challenge of Physics, despised Biology, and found that there was more to love about Shop class than the teacher I had a crush on. I was an honor student in both high school and college, I was a 9 year 4H member, and I was my junior class president. I love softball, playing hockey, and watching the Cubs. I took three years of Spanish in high school, was a member of the National Honor Society, and received a 28 on my ACT. I can't sing to save my life but that wouldn't stop me from trying, I played the baritone in band, and I have come to love square dancing. I was a teen mom, I am a proud mom, and I am a loving wife.

I enjoy things that make me use my mind, I am very dedicated to making sure things run smoothly, and I often take the path less worn. I would give my life for those I love, I am very compassionate, and I take pride in the things I do. I enjoy a walk on a cool autumn day, kicking a ball with my son, or chatting online with friends. I use my gift of writing to take the burdens off of my mind, tell someone how I feel, or just because. I am a voice of reason, an ear of understanding, and a friend who cares.

I am short, I'm a bit overweight, and I have hair past my waist. I have a pseudocholinestrase deficiency, I no longer have my tonsils, and I had trouble with uncontrollable shaking in my hands until high school. I suffer from anxiety, seasonal allergies, and bronchitis attacks. I had braces, I have a bum knee thanks to many years of softball, and I've got lots of scars as old battle wounds. I have had problems with blood pressure in the past, once thought I had a serious ASD, and I have a brain tumor.

So why did I just dump out all of this random information about myself? It's to show that not only does all the things above make me who I am, but that each and every piece has been there and will continue to be there for a long time. All of the above stuff was true (including the I have a brain tumor section) before August 22, 2007 and possibly for most of my life. Just because now it is known, doesn't mean anything has changed. I will not do anything differently when it comes to living, I will not pull any punches just to keep from getting hurt, I am not fragile so I will not break, and I will not lay down and die. I am the same Amy I was prior to August 22nd and I will continue to be that same Amy. Wait, you are right, I'm not the same, because now I cherish each and every day given to me just a little bit more.

I will not use my diagnosis as an excuse, a leverage, or anything else so don't use it against me. "You have a brain tumor" is not a reason to think I am any worse off than you.

This was written in response to a few people who believe I am now "fragile" since my diagnosis became known. Every little headache is not from the tumor just as every klutzy moment is just that. Wait, you are a klutz as well, what's inside your head? I love you all, use caution in what you try to blame things on.


1 comment:

  1. This is why I adore you. You are a strong woman, with a strong sense of who you are, where you've been, and where you're headed - tumor or not.

    As always, I am honored to know you, and call you Friend.

    ReplyDelete