Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Against the Odds and winning

I realize as reading through some of the entries I've started for my blog, that I have done a pretty good job of leaving several question marks about my life. I will attempt to head off some of those questions now.

First off, yes, I was a teen mom. I got pregnant at the age of 17. I married my true love in October before my son was born in February. Many believed we wouldn't make it and that I had "screwed up my life". However, I was destined to defeat the odds and not let that happen. We lived off of a very tight budget for two years as I finished high school and eventually college. I graduated from a local business college with an Associates Degree in Computer Networking in 1999. I later was able to get a job as a temp for a local manufacturing plant and was later hired on there permanently. I have been there ever since.

Shortly after my son turned five, my husband and I bought our home and 10 acres land in a small town just like we always dreamed. I won't lie and say that it was easy to get to the place I am now, but I'm living proof that it is possible. John and I will be celebrating our 11th wedding anniversary in 17 days. Since many people felt we wouldn't make it to five years, every year is special.

So what's the deal about being against surgery? This one is a little more complicated because part of my issue with it is based in reality and part in extended fears. When I was shy of three years old, I went in to have a routine tonsillectomy. What we didn't know is that I would come out of that being paralyzed for several hours. The cause was a genetic disorder called Pseudocholinesterase deficiency. It is a disorder that prevents your body from ridding itself of certain anesthesias in a timely manner, thus leaving you paralyzed until it is able to rid it. Now the disorder is scary enough but as long as it is known, it is typically relatively safe.

However, of course I can't be normal and have this the only affect, I tend to also have issues with things as minor as Lidocaine. If you've ever had dental work done, you've probably had this. It is not unusual for it to take up to 36 hours for me to start getting the feeling back in my mouth following dental work. Most look at me like I'm crazy and there can be no possible relation to it, but these facts make me fear that surgery is a much larger risk for me than the average person. Therefore, whenever you see me mention that "surgery is not an option", you have to realize that in my mind I am weighing out a lot of things. As hard as it's been for my hubby to hear me say it this way, "Is the benefit of doing this right now enough to justify me taking the chance of never getting off the table?" If I can't say that I'm ready and it's a risk that is worth taking, then chances are good it won't occur. Maybe my fears are unfounded, but I've always found I'm against the odds when it comes to statistics. Would you take that chance?

I think that's all the major things that need cleared up that I don't plan on addressing in the "Beginnings" section. I hope some day to actually have readers that will visit this and ask these questions. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment