Saturday, September 22, 2007

Start Planning: Getting Medical Records

I have a list of 60 or more things I need to get done in the category I call "Final Planning". Most of them are things that people should do anyway to help ease the burden on loved ones when their time comes. Yes, I realize most 28 year olds don't think about this type of thing but I'll be honest and tell you that it has been on my to-do list for about 10 years now. I've always been one to be prepared for anything.

Anyway, although not completely related to the "Final Planning" part, one of the tasks was to get copies of my medical records. I believe this is important for anyone but so much more important for those with a serious medical diagnosis. I know they will allow me to seek a second opinion without the hassle of having to have my records sent, to verify information is correct and therefore nothing missed, and to be able to make a list of accurate information in case of an emergency.

I started this process as quickly as I could after being diagnosed. I did some research first and figured out that I just had to call to obtain copies. Well, it wasn't quite that simple. I was able to get a hold of the records department and they faxed me some paperwork to fill out asking information about the doctor I wished records from, what types of records, etc. I faxed the information back that day. After not hearing from them for over a week, I contacted them again and found out that it could take up to 30 days to get my records. I'm glad I started this process early!

So now my records are in the process of getting to me. I also began a "Medical Journal" for me to keep track of all of my information. I won't get into that now but be on the lookout for an entry concerning it at a later time. It's been a very handy investment for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment