Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Month in Review 12-28-2008

It's been a while since I updated and I plan on only making monthly updates from now on unless something major happens. So...

* It has been 6 months and almost 3 weeks since the resection of my brain tumor.
* It has been 2 months and 4 weeks since the completion of radiation.

Medically - Well, my appointment with my NS went as I expected... actually worse. John and I drove the 3.5 hours to Chicago only to find out he did not have my MRI or the report. (My GP sent it to him so who knows what happened with it.) Basically we were told it was a wasted trip and that he really wasn't interested in the report anyway just the MRI. (I meant to bring it and realized I forgot it when we got 30 mins out. If I had known they didn't have the stuff I would have turned around to get it.) It was mostly just a wasted trip up there. Now I have sent the information he wants to him and will be awaiting his call. Why he couldn't do this in the first place I have no idea. It would have saved us a trip.

I will get into more on this later but I have been started on the ADD/HD drug Adderral. This is helping my focus and energy A LOT.

With the FUBAR at the NS office, I have decided to talk with my Neurologist and see if he will take over my care full time now. I will be seeing him January 13th. Hopefully he will take me back on and I won't have to drive to Chicago anymore. Needless to say I wasn't too happy with the trip or his office for their lack of brains organization. Since dealing with major medical issues, I don't take much crap or lack of organization from ANYONE especially surgeons.

Emotionally - Since seeing a doctor about my "depression" and going on some meds I have been doing much better here. Something he said makes A LOT of sense. He said he believes it all stems from my focus/concentration issues. These issues cause me to work harder, thus making my energy level go down, thus causing me to be depressed about not being able to do anything, which causes the mood/temper. Since going on meds for it, things have been great. My energy level is probably twice what it was and very, very close to what it was before surgery. I can actually focus on things like bills, paperwork, etc without wandering constantly. My moods have been 100% better and I feel better now than I have in six months. There has also been another improvement in an area John is really happy about. (He actually turned me down the other night.) I hope this trend keeps up because it is making me feel great.

Mentally - This was very nicely summed up above. Basically, I'm not quite where I was with concentration but memory and focus have improved. I honestly think that some areas of my focus/concentration will never return. I no longer wish to do my income taxes by hand "just for the fun of it". LOL

Physically - I feel very good Physically. My energy has improved A lot and I can find myself being able to do the housework again and get into a minor exercise routine. I got a WiiFit for Christmas and I've been playing around on that. My strength is definitely not there. I can't even do a "Granny Push-up" let alone the 50 regular push-ups I used to be able to do. This will come back I am sure. It will just take some work to get my weak muscles back.

I have begun losing the 45 pounds I gained from the steroids. I've managed 18 already and still working. (I'm likely to have a beef with my GP about this before it is over. I realize that I am above my last weigh-in and I'm sorry I didn't visit at my highest weight... get over it.)

The hair is also coming in nicely. The entire left side is coming in nice and full and there is patches on the right side coming in. If it keeps up at this rate, I can hopefully expect a full head of hair again some day. And if not, I continue with my new trend. :)

Work/Play/Family - We had a very nice Christmas. I think everyone got most of what they really wanted and we enjoyed time together as a family. While on the holiday vacation we have gotten a lot of things accomplished around the house and had some fun playing games, chatting, and hopefully cooking before the holiday is over.

We will hopefully be going to the big New Years dance for New Year's Eve. I can't wait to go and will have to be sure and conserve my energy that day so we can dance the night away.

Well, I'm not sure there is much else to update. I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and May you all have a Safe and Happy New Year.

Huggles

No comments:

Post a Comment