Thursday, June 26, 2008

Still More Questions than Answers

I realize I have been really bad about posting out here with updates and the like and I apologize for that. I guess the continue lack of routine as I recover hasn't helped me much in the motivational area of trying to keep things running smoothly, although they really are. Today, will just be a nice little update, nothing fancy since I really don't have much to report other than I am continuing to recover well. With any luck, I'll post along the lines of my typical weekly update on schedule tomorrow so that it is lined out a bit cleaner and you can really see how things are progressing.

Monday was a rather quiet day as we prepared for the trip to Chicago for the two-week follow-up. Apparently, either I had some misunderstanding on what would occur or I read too much into it, but it ended up being a... well, it wasn't as productive as I would have liked Tuesday. It was a long trip, although I didn't mind it, and really the biggest accomplishment was I no longer have stitches in my head. It could have probably been done down here but since there is some "surface swelling" it was probably best that they could see that things were healing ok. They were a bit concerned with the swelling at first but the incision has healed very nicely and it all appears superficial and no infection or anything. I think they were pleased and the evident hair growth helped to assure that there's nothing serious going on in there or I'd probably still be bald as a baby's backside up there.

There continues to be a bit of this surface swelling but it does appear to go down daily and as long as it doesn't try to reverse, we are in good shape for now. I will finally be able to take my long awaited shower tonight and for some reason I think that total stress pull will probably do wonders for that fluid retention. I'll have to let you know. :)

Beyond that, we never even spoke with the actual doctor so we have no real answers as far as on the tumor, pathology, next steps, etc. I am led to believe that we will probably be considering my ace in the whole with Gamma Knife to try to combat that which they decided to leave but that will have to be left to some detailed facts and won't be decided for possibly months unless this thing decides to grow all of a sudden.

Otherwise, and I'm sure I'll get into this more in a "serious" post later, but I do think we made the right choice in the end. The swelling that has been indicated to us tells me that even if this thing was laying very quiet for now I was a ticking time bomb. I was at a high risk for stroke, hemmorage, and who knows what else at any point in time. This was a good move... especially since it went so well. Had things not gone as smoothly, I might feel differently but as I said, this is another post for another time.

Well, that's a quick review. John returned to work today so it is just my son and I today. We have a small to-do list of things we'd like to do today just to try to feel a bit normal again. Normal... what's that eh?


No comments:

Post a Comment