Wednesday, November 7, 2007

November 7 Decision - No Biopsy

LOL Ok, I'm sorry but I have a feeling I could begin a lot of posts that way. As of today, November 7, 2007, I am not going to be having the open biopsy. (I warned you all that my feelings on it would likely change a million times between now and the time I actually agree.)

So the question running through all of your minds is: Why did you change your mind?

There's actually two major reasons for this change of feelings. Both are different yet meaningful.

1. I feel there may be more tests that can be performed before we take this "drastic" step.

I've been doing my research and I discovered two tests that, have not been mentioned in any way, but seem to possibly be something I should look into.

One test is a PET scan. My understanding is that this test has the ability to show the consistency of the tumor. This does not necessarily tell us the grade, but it would tell me if my tumor is likely all the same grade or not. If it all shows as the same grade, we could get by with simply a burr hole biopsy instead of the open. To me, this would be a much better process.

The second test is a functional MRI. Again, my understanding is that it is good at distinguishing between edema (swelling) and tumor. This would essentially answer our question of whether this thing is the size of a grape or half an orange. Again, it's a test that could probably be beneficial without going in there.

Therefore, I want to talk with my neurosurgeon about these tests prior to changing my mind back to doing the open biopsy. If I can safely determine consistency and size, I would much prefer the burr hole biopsy to the open.

2. Even though physically I am right handed, I have always been right brained when it comes to creativity and other traits thought of with a right brained person. Recently, I have seen no fewer than four tests that are supposed to judge which brain is your primary side. Well, interestingly enough, all four tests showed me as either divided or right brained. This concerns me that perhaps my tumor isn't in the "quiet" area that they believe. This brings me back to my original feelings of: "If it ain't broke, why fix it." (Yes I know ain't isn't a word!!!)

So now you know why today my mind has changed. I'm sure it will continue to change as we move along. I guess the other thing that has constantly been lurking in the back of my mind is why I am actually thinking of doing it anyway. Everyone that knows me has been shocked by me even contemplating it. The only thing both John and I can figure is that my caring for others is pushing me that way. If that's the case, do I really want to do this?

Ok, enough. I'm going to lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment