Friday, May 9, 2008

Brain Tumor Awareness Week - Wrap-up

To wrap up this week on Brain Tumor Awareness I wish to give some statistics on what is going on in the world of brain tumors.

More than 200,000 people will be diagnosed with a brain tumor this year. Most of these tumors will be metastatic tumors that come from cancer in other areas of the body. However, 40,000 of these tumors will be primary brain tumors.

Brain tumors are the LEADING cause of death in children under the age of 20 and the third leading cause of death in young adults.

14 of every 100,000 people will be diagnosed with a primary brain tumor. (Not tumors coming from cancers elsewhere.)

Brain tumor research is severely underfunded and the survival rates remain significantly lower than those of other types of cancer.

Now I have a question for you and if you are so inclined, I wish you to post a comment with the answer. Other than what you have read in my blog or for those that know me in person what you have heard me say... how many times this week did you hear anything on Brain Tumor Awareness Week? Now tell me, how many times a week do you hear things on other cancers such as breast cancer?

No comments:

Post a Comment