Friday, October 29, 2010

Staples Oozing Hate Feeling Helpless

Well, this will not be a super long update but I figured I better send something out today since things are changing a bit and I just need to vent a bit as well.

We stayed in the hotel last night and it went ok. They goofed on us and we ended up with two double beds instead of a single queen, which isn't a big deal other than the queen rooms had a really nice recliner that I would love to be on right now. The trade off being that we were able to have twice as many pillows so that made arranging sleeping positions easier... yeah right. Basically, long story short, I've had A LOT of oozing issues with my staples since being released from the hospital. I think it was a combination of things. I didn't have to cover my head while walking around the hospital because people expect you to look like a walking horror picture. You can't exactly do that out in public. (not the way I look right now anyway. Imagine the most gruesome horror makeup job you can imagine and magnify it times 10.) Anyway, in the time it took to get from the hospital to the hotel room (10 minutes tops) my staples oozed entirely through the head wrap they had given me. By the time I went to bed, I had been through an entire box of gauze pads, all five of my head wraps I had with me (including one of the two they gave me), and was still having issues. I've got a call into the doctor this morning about it. I think the issue is in covering my head, the fact I'm still coughing a lot from the steroids, and the area it's coming from has a lot of scar tissue from my previous surgery and radiation. Therefore, it's taking longer to heal and every time it does get there I cough and bust it open again. It also doesn't help that I'm a bleeder and it takes me forever to clot anyway and usually takes four or five shots to get it good and solid. (I have actually ended up with scars from simple cuts that would just about heal, I'd hit, it'd open back up, just about heal, etc) I'm thinking this is what is happening but in the meantime I've got to try to keep the blood from ruining everything I have and getting all over the hotel room.

I'm hoping they will be able to see me when I go to the Neuro-Oncologist and either help me clean some of it up or see if I busted something in my coughing that needs a stitch or something. Speaking of which, I was supposed to see him at 12:30 and that appointment has been moved until 3. I knew there was a reason we would be better off just planning on being here tonight anyway. Then we'll make the run home Saturday. (Assuming everything really is alright with my incision and they still think I'm good to go.) At least at home, we can take better care of it and I don't have to worry so much about my blood getting all over the hotel room. No use infecting other people if I can help it.

While it sounds like I'm complaining about the oozing, I really do know that in the grand scheme of things it is a minor annoyance. I just hate not being able to do anything about it. At least if it was some sort of deficit or something I could be working towards improving it and I just feel helpless. I hate feeling helpless. However, I'm going to stay focused on the bright side now that I've got the venting out of my system and hopefully in a few hours I'll be able to look on to something different after speaking to the doctor on what I should do.

I can already see I'm going to be buying stock in white pillow cases, covers, and white towels and rags so they can be bleached. :)

Alright well, I'm going to put a compress over my eyes since they are starting to swell again and try to find a comfortable sitting position to rest.

Love ya all and many huggles


  1. I like this post great work indeed well don keep posting
    Double Beds

  2. You changed a rather important course of my life, Amy !!

    Thank you and please keep posting. Listening intently :-)

    Thank you & please TC!