Sunday, January 11, 2009

Poem - Fly High Little Ones

To start this post, if you are not a long time reader of my blog, I encourage you to read about another amazing little boy who touched my life very early on in my journey. You can read about King Julian here and here.

I have continued to follow Julian's Carepage as his mom let's us in on the world of Childhood Cancer and her own feelings as she copes with the loss of her baby. She is an amazing woman. This morning she made a post about Coleman's Celebration of Life in which she was able to attend and she shared with us a poem she had written after Julian earned his wings. She has granted me permission to share it with you as well.

The Day I Buried My Son
By Mimi Avery

The sun was beautiful that day
The wind pretty chilly…
People came from afar,
To celebrate his life.

He was so little
But his heart so big,
He touched so many ,
He helped them find God.

His smile was like no other,
Brightening the darkest souls,
His eyes shared the biggest secrets,
On how life was all worth it.

But on that day ,
That cold but sun filled day,
Our hearts were aching,
His eyes were closed.

Smiles only appeared thru tears,
As we stared at his sweet face.
We were all standing together,
With very little understanding .

Why do loving little boys,
Full of beauty and strength ,
Have to leave theirs mothers,
fathers and brothers way too early.

Balloons went up to Heaven,
Faces turned up to the sky,
Beautiful, bittersweet times,
Fly high little ones…

Surrounded by so many ,
Friends, family , strangers,
All gathered around…
Why this overwhelming feeling of loneliness?

The sun was brightly shining ,
The tears freely flowing
My world stopped turning,
The day I buried my son…

Posted in honor of Julian Avery and Coleman Larson

I know many of you have been following Coleman's story with me. For those that want to help do something about it you can join the fight by joining or supporting the following sites:

People Against Childhood Cancer (PAC2).
CureSearch
People Against Childhood Cancer
Alex's Lemonade Stand
St. Baldricks
Rally Foundation for Childhood Cancer Research
Childhood Brain Tumor Foundation
Texas Children's Hospital
Duke University Medical School
Issac's Foundation - Sign the Petition for Gold Ribbon Support
LIVESTRONG

No comments:

Post a Comment