Thursday, January 8, 2009

If You Had One Wish

I don't even know where I saw this but someone asked the question, "If you had one wish, what would you wish for?"

I had to think about this for some time. There are a lot of things I could wish for, but I'm not sure which would take the top priority.

I could wish for world peace, but that just seems cliche. I could wish for the end to war, but that really is unrealistic given the way too many people think. Maybe it would be to change the way people think to be more compassionate to their fellow man and therefore more peaceful, but then without absolutely any conflict life would get rather boring, don't you think?

Ok, so those areas are too large to tackle. How about a wish closer to home? Would I wish for my brain cancer to go away so that I no longer have to deal with doctors, treatments, and the threat of death on a daily basis? No, I don't consider that thought for more than a second. I have learned so much about myself over the past year and half, I wouldn't want to lose what lessons may still be around the corner. I wouldn't wish for anything in my past to be changed. I would consider wishing that I live to see my son graduate college but that could possibly be a wasted wish because I hope to do that anyway.

So that brings me on to another set of things I could wish for. How about wish for a cure to cancer? Wouldn't that save thousands of lives each year? Yes, it would but how many lives are taken by other things as well. Is it fair to single out a single thing like cancer? Logically you begin to think you can find a cure for all disease. Nah that wouldn't work because we'd have the whole overpopulated thing. So we move from there.

What is the thing most parents feel has got to be the hardest thing in the world to deal with? I'm sure all parents know this... I think losing a child or having a sick child has got to be one of the hardest things to handle. Thousands and maybe more parents go through this each and every day. They find a way to cope, just as anyone who is faced with something serious does, but wouldn't it be wonderful if they didn't have to? If little children only had to run and play and laugh instead of learning about ports and needles and hospitals? I think it would. So if I had a single wish, I would ask for the end of children dying because no parent should have to bury their child when they are only sweet, innocent children.

No comments:

Post a Comment