Tuesday, July 15, 2008

We're Five Weeks Out Now

Five weeks ago today I was in surgery to have my brain tumor removed. Part of me feels like there is no way it's been five weeks and another part of me can't believe that it's only been five weeks. I guess it's just one of those things.

In technicality, I am scheduled to return to work next week but since I haven't seen my doctor yet, that will have to be pushed out another week. (Note to self, if you haven't heard from your short term disability you need to find out what is going on.) I'm not sure I could return to work yet at this point anyway. I'm building my stamina at this point but I'm still pretty weak and I'm at about 5 hours of activity before I have to lay down. Anything over that and I start getting a little... weak and uneasy and I definitely can not afford to fall at this point in time. (Which brings me to the other thing of I am unable to get up off the floor if I did fall. Don't ask me how I know but it wasn't a fall just a weak thinking moment.) Don't get me wrong, I'm actually looking forward to going back to work but right now I'm still enough in recovery mode that I'm just not sure what I'd be able to handle. We'll have to see what happens.

Let's see. At some point today we are going to go have a venous doppler done on my legs. I woke up yesterday morning with an awful pain in my legs. We are hoping that I'm just having some muscle spasms from officially being off the steroids but they want to rule out a late breaking clot. It's better to be on the cautious side. I am also hoping to get into my GP and if everything is good on the doppler, get a dieretic or something for this darn swelling. It is really starting to get on my nerves and when there is something that can be done to combat it, what's the use in dealing with it?

I will say I am happy to be mostly back to normal as far as mental capabilities go. Believe it or not the thought of being on the computer turns my stomach right now (not a good thing when you work on them for a living) but other than that I'm just as sharp as I have always been. About the only major thing I've noticed is concentration and motivation. It really takes a lot of my concentration to do most tasks. I have to really set my mind to things and give it my complete focus. Multi-tasking is not one of my strong suits at the present but I'm sure that will come back with time. I am only five weeks out after all.

Ok, this ended up having no real rhyme or reason so I guess I'll wrap it up. I have my first follow-up with my NeuroSurgeon next Monday and I'm sure I'll have tons to report after that. I am also determined this week to finish writing out my "surgery experience" and I have some very special pictures to post soon. FrankenAmy anyone? Anyway, talk to you all soon. *HUGGLES*

No comments:

Post a Comment