Friday, July 25, 2008

Fate Intervened One Year Ago

It was one year ago today that my brain tumor journey unofficially began. You see, it was today that I ventured out a bit early to pick up my son from his summer camp a little early so we could get to the 4H office to drop off his project for the 4H window display. After doing this, we both were a little "energetic" when we got home so we decided to blow off some steam and toss the baseball around in the yard. We'd played for around a half hour or so and we were tossing some hard grounders at each other. Needless to say, I'm not 16 anymore and my reflexes proved it when he threw one that took a hop right of the heal of my glove. It hit me square in the left side of my mouth and it smarted pretty bad. I know I said a few choice words and we decided that was probably enough for the night.

Anyway, I didn't think much of it. I put some ice on my ever bulging lip and we carried on the rest of the night. The swelling stayed down and really it was just that nice fat lip feeling with a little numbness on both sides of my face for some reason. Again, I didn't think much of it. After a week, all traces of the fat lip were gone other than I realized that the right side of my face was very numb. So numb in fact that I burned the tar out of my mouth eating chili because I didn't realize that it was hot. The inside of my mouth was numb and I didn't realize it. Since I had a history with a whiplash type injury in my neck, my thoughts immediately went to that. I figured I had messed something up in my neck when I was hit. Sooooo... off to the chiropractor I went where we decided it wasn't my neck but rather what appears to be an inflamed trigeminal nerve. Thus the start of my journey began.

Fate made us play baseball that afternoon. Fate made that ball hit me in the face. Fate set off the chain of events that would eventually lead us to where we are now. My angels were looking out for me that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment