Sunday, June 21, 2009

An Update from Relay Weekend

Wow, this weekend has been wild, crazy, and a lot of fun!

I'll post a full fledged monthly update some time next week. For now I just want to talk about the weekend and how Relay went.

Friday afternoon around noon, we began setting up our campsite for the Relay at Lincoln High School. It was crazy trying to get everything done and the plan for having Relay inside wasn't fully figured out so there was quite a learning curve and things had to be moved around a few times at the campsite. We were able to finish setting up before the Survivor's Dinner at 4:30 with the exception of some minor details. At 4:30, I went with my Grandma and her friend Ida to the survivor's dinner. We are all three survivors. Of course, you know my story. My Grandma had a tracheotomy 12 years ago from throat cancer and her friend had breast cancer around the same time. The meal was catered by John Guzzardo and it was absolutely fabulous.

We had walking tacos we were selling throughout the night thanks to a very generous donation by my cousin (he owns Kicks and a few Subways). They were a pretty good hit although it would have been great to sell 100 more or so! At 6, the Relay started with the team lap and the Survivor's lap. It's really quite overwhelming when you walk the survivor's lap. Everyone claps as you walk the track and it really makes you realize that THIS is what Relay is about. Celebrating those still with us and later in the luminaria presentation, remembering those we've lost.

Around 8:30 the square dancers were on the floor until the luminaria event began at 9. We were supposed to start at 8 but the auction ran longer than they expected. It felt good being out there dancing again. We've been so busy with Relay and stuff that we've only been dancing twice all year. I wish to thank all of the square dancers that came out to support Relay and me. It really meant a lot to me to see such a wonderful turnout.

At 9, we started off the luminaria lighting with some words/stories from some of us touched by cancer. I was privileged to be one of the speakers at this and I hope that my speech helped drive home some of the messages that the American Cancer Society wishes to send about cancer. At some point in the future, I will post what my speech was so you all can read it. It's actually quite funny. I told the chair that she needs to be careful when she sends out a speech for something, you never give a writer the permission to embellish. LOL I basically rewrote the entire thing but the message was still there. She said she loved it and I did get some applause at the end of my part. It helps when you have one of the more exciting parts and are able to end it with a shouting chant of "FIGHT BACK".

The rest of the night was filled with varying activities, specialty laps, etc. It really started dying down around midnight and continued throughout the remainder of the night. However, John and I stayed all night and were there to release the balloons at 6 AM. I really found it to be awesome and I loved captaining the team this year. We were awarded the silver team award for the money we raised and we finished second of all the teams before putting in the fundraisers from Relay.

John and I both crashed until around 1:30 PM and we agreed we would go dancing Saturday night. When I took my shower, I realized that a fall I took early in the day of Relay, did quite the number on my ankle. It was quite purple and John almost wouldn't let me dance. I'm glad he changed his mind though after I convinced him it really doesn't hurt and that it's probably just bruised.

We went dancing Saturday night. I think we were able to get in three tips and it felt good to be back on the dance floor. I didn't realize how much I had missed dance. It really is one of the best date nights you can have and there are a lot of very wonderful people that square dance as well.

Today is Father's Day so Happy Father's Day to all of you dads out there!!! We are getting ready to go grocery shopping and then over to my parents to unload the trailer from all the Relay stuff we shoved in there Saturday morning. I am very sore today from the knees down. I think I should have stretched out better or need to get back to walking nightly so that I don't have this problem. :)

It's been over a week now since my last seizure so I do believe that we've got the right dosage of meds going into my system now. Now I just have to wait out the 6 months grounding from driving and I'll be back to normal.

Well, I've got to wrap this up. I'm sure there will be more updates now that Relay is over and I have that time back.

No comments:

Post a Comment