Friday, June 4, 2010

Please Support Relay For Life!!!

Let's face it, there are not many people that have not had cancer affect them in some way. Whether it is watching from the sidelines, caring for a friend or loved one, or fighting it ourselves we have all been touched by cancer in our lives.

Cancer doesn't care how old you are, the state of the economy, your race, religion, whether you have a job or not, have the money or insurance to pay for treatments, or the ability to take care of your family while you undergo treatment. It affects everyone equally and without prejudice. Isn't it time we start evening the odds a bit and put cancer in its place?

If you've followed my blog you'll have met a couple of the children whose lives were taken too soon by this demon. King Julian and Coleman have been an inspiration to me as I undertake my own journey. Should a 4 year old have to face this? The simple answer is no. However, there's so much yet to be done.

The American Cancer Society leads the battle against cancer at every level along the way. They tackle it at the root by investigating the causes of cancer and raising awareness on ways to prevent it. They give resources, information, and support to those that have been diagnosed with cancer. Furthermore, they grant research money to those that may be on the breakthrough of finally finding the cure for cancer. They can't do it alone. It takes the support from each and every one of us to help them reach these goals.

The Relay For Life is a magical event especially for those that have had to face cancer head on. Relay is a time to come together to remember those we have lost, celebrate the victories we have made, and pledge to fight back against the beast that has taken so much from us. Most importantly, it gives HOPE to all of those in attendance that there will be a cure found so that more generations do not have to face this dastardly disease.

As a Survivor, I really find it hard to put into words what it means to me. The very thought that all of the people on the track are there to support the cause that is very important to me is touching beyond words. Being on the track with others that have fought cancer is an inspiration and keeps hope in my heart that I can also fight and beat this thing. It helps me remember that I am not alone. Not only do I have the support of friends and family, I have the support of complete strangers who I may or may not ever really know. It doesn't matter because we are all connected and it's instant friendship.

Some have asked me in the past why I support the American Cancer Society and Relay For Life when there are many organizations out there that are specifically geared towards brain cancer. Really the answer is quite simple... if all of the friends and family that have/had cancer had brain cancer then I might consider putting all of my efforts into the ABTA (American Brain Tumor Association). However, I've lost family to breast, lung, brain, blood, throat, and various other types of cancer. I have friends and family fighting breast, brain, joint, and blood cancer. I do support the ABTA by participating in some of their fundraisers. I just hold the Relay For Life close to my heart and I can see the impact that it has on others. I support their mission and I am honored to be a supporter of the ACS and I know that the ACS has had a hand in many of the treatments friends and family have used to extend their lives or beat cancer.

So tell me, can you afford to donate to Relay For Life and support my team so that others traveling this path can be given HOPE? Can you donate in remembrance of someone you loved that was taken away too soon from this beast? What about in celebration of someone you love that has fought cancer and is here to show all that it can be done? Perhaps you just wish to donate to help FIGHT BACK against cancer so that future generations can say "When I was a little one, cancer took the lives of many good people but that doesn't happen anymore." Wouldn't that be great?

How about it, can you donate $5, $10, $20 dollars to help put an end to cancer and support those that do have it? http://main.acsevents.org/goto/Amy_Relay

Thank you for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment