Friday, September 5, 2008

The Week in Review 9-5-2008

Summary of this week... I hope my shower drain survives radiation.

* We're 12 weeks past the partial resection of my brain tumor.
* 11 of 30 radiation treatments have been completed. (There was no treatment on Labor Day.)

Medically - Radiation continues out of week three (ok 2 1/2) with no major complications. The biggest issue I am currently dealing with is whether or not my Short Term Disability will be extended or not. I am currently working 4 hour days and I'm not sure I'm capable of handling a full 8 hour day so I am hoping they work with me and extend it through the end of radiation.

Emotionally - This has been a slightly better week emotionally. I'm still not convinced that radiation was the best course and if anything, I'm the opposite of convinced but at this point I'm committed so there's not much I can do. (If I back out now it would probably cause more damage than its worth.) My reason for the change in feeling is going back to what my heart has been telling me from the beginning. Even though it is malignant, it is slow growing. Because radiation feeds on the reproduction of cancer cells, it is more effective on quickly growing tumors. Therefore, I continue to feel that I should have waited longer to play this card... at least until we saw marked growth.

Mentally - I'm back into a rhythm at work so I am able/forced to exercise my brain more. I have also found the love of reading again. I'm currently absorbed/infatuated with the "Twilight" series by Stephenie Meyer. It has really taken my interest and I know that makes John feel better because one of the things I have noticed since surgery is the lack of interest in some of the things I used to like. Such as playing Puzzle Pirates or the Sims. Not that it's a bad thing to not be infatuated with them but it scared him a little so he's glad to see me "in" to something.

Physically - Fluid continues to be a problem and there's not much they are willing to do about it. The solution was to take two Aleve a day. I hate Aleve. It's supposed to be good for all kinds of things but it has never made a dent for me in anything. (Although I was down 3 more pounds this morning so maybe it's starting to go away... again.)

The most noticeable issue this week is hair loss. I'm starting to get some nice balding areas particularly around my scar area. When I take a shower, there is noticeable hair that ends up staying with my hands as well. It's cool... I just wish it'd go ahead and fall out what it will so I can see what kind of mess I'll be left with. :)

Family - Again, I really don't have much to report here.

Ok, so this was a short update. Let's hope for clear shower drains, Short Term Disability approval, and lots of restful sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment