Monday, October 19, 2009

Results from Three Month MRI

Here's the latest from the brain front...

October 8th I had my three month follow-up MRI.  My Neurologist gave me the results saying that he didn't feel qualified to diagnose what he was seeing and therefore wanted me to see my NeuroSurgeon.  Of course, my NeuroSurgeon was formally fired back in January after the fiasco that occurred following my first post-radiation MRI.  I began researching NeuroSurgeons in the area after I had my seizure in June.  I had a few likely candidates should I need them so I was able to move fairly quickly in finding a new NeuroSurgeon and I have a backup should it be required.  Although I hope that I will strike it with this one.  Mayo Clinic is rated number 1 in Neuro in the USA so I think I should be in pretty good hands. 

I will be seeing a Neurologist and NeuroSurgeon at Mayo in Rochester, MN on the 29th and 30th of October to get their opinions on what the last couple of MRIs have shown.  If you remember my July MRI showed an area of enhancement that they were uncertain about.  My suspicion is that it's this area that is concerning them and thus why they wish me to seek a more experienced opinion on it.  This is one of the many things I like about my Neurologist and thus why I have not allowed his nurse to run me away from him.  He knows when he's in over his head and you have to respect a doctor like that. 

It will be a long drive at around 7-7.5 hours but I think it will be well worth it.  After we find out what is going on, Mayo is known for working well with doctors in the patient's area so hopefully it will not be one of those treks we have to make often.  Even if it is, to put a group you can trust running the game makes it worth it.

I guess this isn't really giving much in the way of information but I'll know more when I get the MRI report and after I see them at Mayo at the end of the month.  For now, we just have to know that it is in our Father's hands and that there are a lot more options still out there should they be needed.

Huggles

1 comment:

  1. We went to Mayo in Cleveland when we were trying to figure out what was ailing my husband, prior to the Buerger's Disease diagnosis. FYI - our insurance, which at the time was pretty good, covered VERY LITTLE. We had a bill of $6K for a one day diagnostic visit. I would recommend calling your insurance folks ahead of time to figure out how to get the maximum amount covered.

    ReplyDelete