Monday, May 9, 2011

Update While We are Waiting

Disability sucks. Not sure which direction to go on a lot of things.
  • It has been 4 years since I was hit with a baseball that led to the discovery of my brain tumor.
  • It has been 3 years and 4 months since I completed External beam radiation.
  • It has been 3 years and 7 month (today) since I had a partial resection (more partial than we realized at the time)of my grade three tumor.
  • It has been approximately 10 weeks since my second resection, shunt insertion, and the start of a month of chaos.
  • 3 weeks ago I had to have my shunt revised with 5 surgeries over 3 days.

Medically - I've managed to stay out of the hospital since January and the shunts appear to be working well. In Mid-April I had another MRI. My NeuroSurgeon read my MRI from March 1 and didn't like what he saw in it. He couldn't verify what he saw but felt that another MRI was needed as soon as I could. That MRI has been done. My local team thinks the March 1 and April MRI show no change. This is good but they also thought my March 1 MRI showed no change. I'm more likely to believe them this time because they didn't calculate in my surgery in the March 1 MRI they read. Due to scheduling issues I will not see my NeuroSurgeon until July 25 so that he can read my MRI.

Emotionally - Needless to say they have shut down the site I work at so I never did make it back to work. Therefore, to all my former co-workers reading this, it was quite the ride but if you are on this email, I truly enjoyed working with you. Good luck to you all in the future.

Thanks to being back behind the wheel, I am working my way out of the depression that was slowly creeping up on me.

Mentally - My mental stamina is still not back to par but It's at about 80% now. I'm doing fairly well with my mental processing (at least it's a huge improvement from a couple of months ago.) My short term memory is shot. Anything up to five minutes might as well not exist. Half the time I'm happy to remember to put the windows in my car up. If I'm lucky I can remember things five minutes after I think of it. I don't think it's all that much worse than it was after my very first surgery in 2008. It just seems worse this time.

Physically - I am still struggling with physical stamina as well. I can get around physically now but I'm pretty weak when it comes right down to it. (I'm sure you all know I don't handle "weak" well.)

The biggest physical struggle I have now is that I can't wear most of my pants and shorts. The steroid I was on at the end of last year made all of my weight go to my stomach. I can't even wear the pants I wore before I lost all my weight last year. UGH!!! I don't weight but five pounds more than I did at that point but it all now lives between my knees and bra!!!

My wounds have all healed nicely and other than a few spots on my head where there are raised areas, you'd never know I had surgery 6 months ago.

Chemo - Round Three of chemo went fairly well. I have found that I do great until day 4 and then I get sick and unable to keep anything down. Round four will be starting next Wednesday (Possibly earlier depending on what my Oncologist says... long story.)

Family - My son graduates from 8th grade next week. I feel old!!! He'll be going to high school next year. YIKES!!!! Anyway, John has been putting in the hours for planting season. As much as we are both itching to get back out on the dance floor I think it might still be a few weeks away. Although he and I were both wanting to go last Saturday before we realized that there was no dance. I'm not sure how well I'll do or if my stamina will hold but I think I could handle a single tip.

OK, I think that's all I can update on right now. I'm tired and my brain is literally telling me to get my tail to bed!!! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment