Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My First Ever Survivor Walk

On Saturday I attended a Relay for Life in a town local to where I grew up. I was a "member" of the team, although a rather inactive one. My primary goal was to get a feel for what Relay was all about before being a captain in my local Relay. I will say that it was a very special night for me.

The Relay was launched with the traditional Survivor Lap. This particular Relay was set up in a high school gymnasium so everyone crowded into the gym as the survivors took their lap. It felt good to be walking with the other survivors and the crowd was amazing as they gave round of applause. The second lap, we were joined by our caregivers. I squeezed John's hand tight as we made this lap. I think, in total, I made 55 laps that night. (I was feeling it the next day!)

Another part of the Relay that I found really special was the Luminaria. They had a screen set up at one end and all of the luminaria were "lit" and the screen scrolled all of those whom had luminarias as well as all of those that were survivors. It was quite emotional to see my name up on the screen with all of the other names of those who have walked the same path.

We only stayed until 1:30 AM for this one because of the very little time I'd have to make up my sleep. (This was on a Saturday night where my local Relay will be on a Friday night) If I don't get the opportunity to get enough sleep, not only am I at higher risk for seizures but I'm pretty much useless the next day. As much as I would have loved to stay the whole night, I knew it just wasn't possible for me to do.

It makes me even more excited for my local Relay. I can't wait to captain my team as we continue to raise money and awareness for the American Cancer Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment