Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Milestone that is Thirty

I sit here today, ten days before I start my fourth decade of life thinking about all of the things that 30 years has allowed me to do. Some of those things are positive and some are not but they all make me the almost 30 year old that writes this blog today.

In my first decade of life, I witnessed the explosion of the space shuttle Challenger upon take off on January 28, 1986. This is the first major event that I remember. You know, those things that you never forget where you were when... Then in my third decade of life I sat with my son, just a few years younger than I was for the Challenger, watching the space shuttle Columbia explode on re-entry. In three decades I saw two space shuttle disaster, of which neither I will ever forget.

I have witnessed the ridicule that comes with being a teen mom, the joy of hearing your baby giggle, the pride of watching your preteen turn into a respectable young man.

I have experienced 12 years of marriage and all of its ups and downs. I have cherished the 14 years, almost half of my life, that I have spent with my True Love. I have stood up against the odds to make sure it all worked.

I have been blessed with friends from many different levels who provide an ear to listen, encouragement to continue, and a shoulder to cry on. These friends have always appeared when I need them most with the words I need to hear. Be they for a reason, a season, or a lifetime they never fail to be there when I need them.

I have been honored with many awards and from various means. There have been physical rewards such as trophies or ribbons for writing, education, and 4H. There have been personal rewards such as a meaningful letter, a special prayer, or a note of encouragement. There have been spiritual rewards such as strength, courage, and recognition for grace under fire.

I have felt the fear, the anger, and acceptance of being diagnosed with a brain tumor and eventually cancer. I have witnessed the fear in my loved one's eyes, the respect of those that can't believe their eyes, and the tears of knowing your life is fragile. I have looked in the mirror and seen the scars of surgery, the loss of radiation, and the person who is still looking back at me and fighting.

I have been gifted the strength to endure, the knowledge to accept, the innocence to believe, and the faith to be at peace with my decisions, the crosses I've been chosen to bear, and my life.

I think the past three decades has been good to me and I wouldn't change any of it if I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment